Here is a list of books/authors from my skeptical phase. I think the new atheists are doing a service in pointing out what is wrong with religion in America. However some have more to do with anthropology and biology. A couple are helpful for those that have gone through spiritual abuse. Some address the silliness that is our government as well.
1.A Letter to a Christian Nation- Sam Harris
2.Breaking the Spell- Daniel Dennett
3.All of the books put together by John Loftus
4. Trusting Doubt-Valarie Tarico
5. Leaving the Fold- Marlene Winnell
6. Godless- Dan Barker
7. Several books by Robert M Price and his bible geek podcast.
8. Religious Literacy-Prothero
9. If there is a God , why are there atheists.- Sproul. I only read the first half since the second half was calvinist theology.
10. The Family and C Street- Jeff Sharlet
11. The Faith Healers- James Randi
12. Jesus Land-Scheeres
13. Why Evolution is true-Coyne
14. Anarchy Evolution-Greg Graffin
15. Religion Explained- Pascal Boyer
16. In Gods we Trust- Atran
17. Salvation for Sale-Straub
18. End of Faith- Harris
19. The Truth About Witchcraft Today-Cunningham.
20. Misquoting Jesus-Bart Ehrman
21. Hegel- Peter Singer
22. Profits over People-Chomsky